9 Healthy Food Items to Improve Your Immune System During this Covid-19 Pandemic
Updated: Jul 23, 2020
In this time of novel Corona Virus or COVID-19, we are strictly instructed to follow certain guidelines i.e. keeping distance, washing our hands often, and maintaining a good and healthy lifestyle.
Along with good sleep and exercise routines, it is also important to incorporate good food habits. Here we have listed the top 9 food items to add in your daily meals which will help you to stay fit and healthy.
1. Broccoli: This vegetable is very rich in Vitamin C. This vegetable is also packed with antioxidants and Vitamin E. One cup of broccoli almost provides 40% of your daily requirement of vitamin C.
The best way to eat is, either raw or slightly cooked. Simple stir fry or Sauté is the best way to consume Broccoli.
2. Garlic: Garlic is not only full of flavor but it has also some great health benefits. It reduces the risk of heart diseases but lowering blood pressure. Garlic also helps to build immunity.
You can add it anywhere. Be it sauces, dressings, or dips.
3. Chickpeas: Very rich in Protein and Zinc. It helps muscle recovery and growth providing essential amino acids.
This can be eaten either raw or roasted. Raw chickpeas can be added to salads and curries. While roasting and having them as a snack is also a great option.
4. Sunflower Seeds: High in Vitamin E and full of antioxidants. These Seeds are very beneficial to build great immunity. An ounce of these seeds will easily provide you with half of your total required Vitamin D for a day.
Roast some seeds and use them in your salads or veggies. Otherwise, you can use it in Pesto too.
5. Strawberries: Another very good source of Vitamin C. Perhaps the tastiest option too. Having a cup of strawberries would easily help you reach your daily Vitamin C intake.
This fruit can be chopped and eaten with Oats, toasts, or Yogurt. You can also make strawberries smoothies.
6. Red Bell Pepper: This is another source of Vitamin C. It helps to boost immunity. Our bodies don’t produce this so we need to consume this regularly.
The best way to eat red bell pepper would be chopping and putting it in salads. Or just do a quick stir fry.
7. Spinach: Spinach is full of antioxidants and Vitamin C. All these qualities make it one of the most immunity building food. This is very versatile too.
You can make smoothies or sauté it with some garlic. Slightly cooked or raw spinach is the best way to consume this.
8. Mushroom: Sun Exposure is the best source of Vitamin D, but this is also provided by some foods. Mushroom is one of them. It helps the absorption of Calcium as well as fights with Cancer and some respiratory diseases.
Mushrooms are great as appetizers. Toss it with some garlic, salt, and pepper or stuff it with cheese. You can have it in your own tastier ways.
9. Yogurt: The greatest source of pro-biotic. Consuming it daily ensures a healthy gut and better immunity. This helps fighting influenza or common cold-like infections.
You can have some plain yogurt customized with Fruits, nuts, or honey. Nutritious smoothies can also be made.
Include these things in your daily diet for better health. It will certainly increase your immune system to fight with the Covid-19 virus.